Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lab 2b: My First Experience with ArcMap


GIS is software that house and analyze data. Using programs such as ArcMap, the software enables data to be seen in space, on a map. GIS is useful because it allows data to be organized and easily analyzed. During my introduction to ArcMap, I discovered the potentials and pitfalls of GIS.

The introduction to ArcMap lab was my first experience working with any GIS type program. I was able to follow the tutorial but I did have a few problems during my session. One of the problems I encountered involved the directions in the training manual. Several times, I misread the instructions or could not comprehend the instructions. Because of this, it took me several times to complete a step. The hardest task happened when I had to create a new road. It took me several times to figure out what the directions wanted me to do. For instance, I would click on the mouse and create a point on the layer. I could not figure out why my actions did not mimic the image on the tutorial sheet. Instead of extending the existing road, the line pointed in the opposite direction. After rereading the instructions, I was able to successfully create the new road. I realized that I was not supposed to click the mouse before right clicking.

What I liked most about the GIS program was its simplicity. It is easy to add Legends, Map Scales, etc. I also liked that it allows the data information to be viewed without fear of editing the maps. In order to edit the map, the user must click on the Editor toolbar and click on Start Editing. The only downside is that a user may forget to click on Stop Editing once they are done.

There are potentials to using GIS. By using the computer and digital calculations, GIS makes map making easier and more accurate than before. One does not need to rely on rulers, papers, and multiple devices to create a map. The computer and GIS program also saves time. The option to color code sections also organizes data and the visuals, making it easy to navigate the map. This type of organization will help users see their data in space and understand it in geographic terms. Furthermore, the data can be displayed in a graph and a user can focus on and highlight different sections.

Another potential is the ability to integrate different sets of data onto a map. For instance, the program creates different layers for each data set. The layers can be selected or deselected. This option helps organize the workspace and allows the user to focus on specific data spots. Moreover, data information can be copied into the different layers, as shown in the Schools and Land Use layer. GIS also allows a person to add features on preexisting maps. The sketch feature enables a person to draw in features, such as a road. The right-click menus include options, like Parallel and Tangent Curve, which allow the road to be drawn in straight and accurately.

However, there are also pitfalls of GIS programs. One of the potential pitfalls of the GIS program is that its interface looks similar to other programs. When I first opened the program, it quickly reminded me of Adobe Photoshop. The menu bar was similar and I found myself using keyboard hot keys that are used in Adobe Photoshop. However, ArcMap is not Adobe Photoshop so using the hot keys only made the learning process more difficult. On the other hand, people who have experience with “layer” organization will like the way ArcMap is organized and may easily learn how to use the program. Another pitfall is the limitation on what type of computer systems can run GIS software. Because ArcMap is not compatible with Mac computers, Mac users must use a remote desktop system connection to work with the GIS program and complete their work. I use a MacBook at home and completing my assignment was harder due to the slow connection common with remote connection. The limitations of what type of computer systems can run ArcMap make it hard for Apple users to work on GIS programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment